What is Happiness to you?
People have different point of views about happiness. What makes people happy? How people can be happy? Different attitudes toward living.
We will be discussion three groups of people as our example on this discussion.
Some might seek self-oriented happiness, without any consideration for others. Some of them might think “happiness” means wielding, political or economic power over others. But most of these people turn out to be disappointed in their pursuit of happiness. This group is the political people.
Since man’s desire is endless, nothing can fully satisfy their needs. Does restricting person’s personal desire is the first step in attaining happiness? For example; people think they are happy because they live their lives in accordance with religious commands. But, can anyone without personal autonomy be genuinely happy? – Religious group
Another group of people consists of very ordinary people. They have no great wealth or political authority. While they may have religious beliefs, they do not turn their back on the world. But they treasure their families, they value the little things of everyday life. They are happy if they have three meals a day, a car, a home, a vacation, enough money to educate their children…
Now, which group of people is the happiest?
- What is happiness?
- What does the expression “to turn one’s back on the world” mean?
Questions To Ponder
- Do you think the quality of your life is improving or getting worse?
- How do you relieve your stress?
- Do you think you are happy? Why or why not?
- What type of social activities do you engage in?
- How do you spend your free time? Do you prefer spending it alone or with friends?
- Have you ever done a volunteer work?
- Are you forgetful? If so, how do you cope with it?
- I agree that material wealth grows as the economy expands. This could mean to me as the quality of my life is worsening. But I also don’t think that money is everything in terms of a quality of life.
- For me, quality life depends upon environmental concern, stress, crime rates, education, etc. Economic wealth comes after those. We all know our environment is becoming dirtier and crimes are on the rise. Everybody suffers from stress, caused by a variety of sources, which shortens the life expectancy of our generation. Even material comfort might be a source of stress. The quality of life can’t be measured by material wealth.
- In our society, there is always the misunderstanding about sex roles traditionally. Example: Men didn’t try to understand women’s work, and vice versa. – Men did not pitch in’ to help with domestic chores, and women were not allowed to interfere in male jobs.
- There is this division that could probably an obstacle to mutual understanding. However, as we observed jobs both men and women are somehow switch a times. Example: Many women are making money outside the home, while more men seem ready to help with cooking, cleaning the house, washing the dishes, taking care of the children, and so forth. In this situation, this does not only helps men and women understand each other, but also helps ease the problems between spouses.
You must be logged in to post a comment.