Part 1 – STRUCTURE
Directions: This test measures your ability to recognize language that is appropriate for standard written English.
Items 1-15 are incomplete sentences. Beneath each sentence, you will see four words or phrases marked A, B, C, and D. Choose the word or phrase that best completes the sentence, then shade the letter corresponding to your answer in the Answer Sheet.
- The enterprising daughter who ____________ a vast fortune from her super rich and powerful father is going to Europe to venture into other business deals.
a. Inherit b. inherited c. is inheriting d. was inherited
2. Helium, a new element in the sun, is the ash left ______________ atoms of hydrogen are fused in the furnace of the sun.
a. while b. unless c. when d. until
3. To everybody’s surprise, the captain, looking _____________, eas there ahead of all the rest.
a. his best b. at his best c. in his best d. for his best
4. People _________ Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA) damage were not necessarily those who had smoked the longest but those who began smoking at a young age.
a. of worst b. of worse c. within the worse d. within in the worst
5. The primordial purpose _________ schooling is ultimately to learn how to learn.
a. in b. for c. of d. at
6. Before the seeds germinated, I did not know what kind of plants the _________________.
a. will be b. would be c. can be d. could be
7. In April 1906, an earthquake never before equaled in violence ___________ a part of the United States, particularly San Francisco, California.
a. striked b. stroke c. strikes d. struck
8. Ballooning revenue collections, mushrooming infrastructures and expanding transportation and communication facilities conspicuously manifest the _________ of the city.
a. speedily growing economy b. speedy economic growing
c. speedy growing economic d. growing economic speed
9. The latest addition to the year – round regional cultural showcase is the new, state-of-the-art light and sound museum which _________ the country’s past and its present.
a. exhibit b. exhibits c. exhibited d. is exhibiting
10. Oral rehydration ________________ attempted to replace lost body fluids in the early stages of fever.
a. is b. would be c. was d. has been
11. It _______ be gleaned from the article that mass media have both positive and negative influence to society.
a. would b. could c. must d. might
12. Of all the sports that _________________ strong bodies, swimming is the best.
a. develops b. developed c. develop d. is developing
13. The legalization of divorce, until such time, has been _____________ in our society.
a. a hotly-contested issues c. the hot contested issue
b. a hotly-contesting issue d. the hot contesting issue
14. A website is limited _____________ you to other websites where you can access for more information and discoveries.
a. until it is linking b. because it links c. since it linked d. while it link
15. The happy children, ________, paraded in the busy streets in celebration of their school foundation.
a. majestic costumes c. majestically costumes
b. majestic costumed d. majestically costumed