Directions: In this test you will read several passages. Answer all the questions that follow by encircling the correct answer.
- When the women’s liberation movement started, among the man issues raised by feminists was the relevance of beauty contest. It was felt that the competitions were exploitative and demeaning to women.
Kindle Paperwhite E-reader – Black, 6″ High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi – Includes Special OffersKindle E-reader – Black, 6″ Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi – Includes Special Offers
It would seem, that the campaign to discourage contest has had so far very limited success. Certainly there have been achievements. Some competitions were launched which focused more on the contestants’ talents than their pulchritude.
- Despite some developments, however, there are very strong indicators that feminist have not really discouraged the holding of
beauty competitions nor the participation of many women who seem to look upon them
as the stepping stone toward glamorous careers like modeling and acting.
- Every year still sees the birth of many new beauty contest and many women have made a career of joining every competition. Contestants have displayed the fierce determination on one expects to see only among prizefighters. There was, for instance, this Italian beauty who participated in the Miss Universe pageant. Eager to make the members of the board of judges notice her and possibly award her the title, the signorina sashayed across the stage deliberately forgetting whatever it was she was supposed to be wearing during that portion of the program.
- While not many women will probably go to the same lengths to get the attention, the fact remains that the world is still full of ladies of all ages eager to participate in any beauty contest. Thus, new contest are being launched each year just to accommodate all these women who would like to be known as Miss Somebody sometime during their lifetime.
30. What is the main idea of the passage?
a. There is stiff competition among beauty contest candidates.
b. Beauty contests have diminished in popularity through the years.
c. There is little relevance in the beauty contest held every year.
a. A good-luck charm c. A bridge to get to the other side
b. An accessory to one’s attire d. An initial step towards one’s goal
32. According to the author, what career do most beauty contestants aspire for?
a. Modeling b. Advertising c. Broadcasting d. Television hosting
33. What is the primary reason why young women all over the world are eager to join beauty contests?
a. To get rich and lead a privileged life c. To be able to travel to another country
b. To meet more friends around the world d. To have an opportunity to start a
a. catch the attention of the judges c. entertain the audience
b. be different from the others d. make fun of herself
35. The author presented his ideas in the passage by?
CIVIL SERVICE REVIEWER: For Professional and for Sub-Professional, How to pass the Civil Service Exam?: EXAMINEES DESCRIPTIVE QUESTIONNAIRE, ANSWER KEYS
a. narrating b. describing c. enumerating details d. giving examples
36. What does the author mean when he said “it was felt that the competitions were exploitative and demeaning to women?
c. The author felt that beauty competitions are a source of pride to women.
d. The author felt that beauty competitions are meaningless and irrelevant.