LET Reviewer – GenEd English Part 1
I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain-back in rain.
I have out walked the farthest city light.
a. isolation and loneliness
b. joy getting out of the house
c. youthful delight playing in the rain
d. happiness in having been acquainted with the night2. Which is the BEST WAY to write the underlined portion of this sentence? Researchers also speculate that some teachers might have given boys more computer time because parents and teachers expected boys to need computers for future careers.
c. will expect
d. will have expected3. The wounded soldiers were visited by the president who honoured them with ____ for their _____.
a. medals – valor
b. gun salute – bravery
c. appointments – dedication
d. money – sacrifice
4. Every June, Manila has its festival of outstanding Filipino films. This was a project initiated by
a. Arsenio Lacson
b. German Moreno
c. Antonio Villegas
d. Ramon Bagatsing
5. Which among the sounds below is voiceless?
6. “Only the heart can see rightly.” This statement is lifted from what particular novel?
a. The Prince and the Pauper
b. The Little Prince
c. The Right One
d. The Pearl
a. Gerald Ford
b. Franklin Roosevelt
c. Henry Truman
d. John F. Kennedy8. History is the witness that ______ passing of time.
b. will testify
c. testifies for
d. testifies for the9. When I met Liza yesterday, it was the first time I _____ her since Christmas.
b. had seen
c. have seen
d. have been seen
10. The commander ordered his men to hold on the fort. What was the message?
a. Surrender in arms
b. Keep on with the fight
c. Disregard the peace negotiation
d. Rescue the hostage victims fast and early
11. “She is a vision of feminine pulchritude.” This stands for the following EXCEPT
d. Physical beauty
12. The Nibelungenlied is a
a. Latin Myth
b. Chinese legend
c. Russian folk song
d. Medieval German epic
13. An association wherein the name of something is substituted by something that represents it.
14. Because the moon rotates on its axis at the same time as it ______ around the earth, we see the same side
c. Is revolving
d. Has been revolving
15. In English verse, a poetic foot having 1 stressed syllable followed by 1 unstressed syllable is ______.
16. Senators were accused by activists of washing their hands with the perfumes of Arabia. This state is commonly known as
17. It is a collection of religious poetry written by Rabindranath Tagore.
c. The Ramayana
d. Bhagavad Gita
18. I suggest that he _____ in the room for one week.
19. The manager told his workers, “We have to reduce our workforce.” What did he mean?
Workers are free to leave
Workers are warned of possible lay off
Workers have to double time on their jobs
Workers should submit themselves to a reducing gym
20. The parent remarked, “__________ I come late, just lock the door.”
a. In the absence
b. In the process
c. In the event
d. In the case
21. The copy reader found the news story boring. He found it full of _____.
22. There were three guests on the stage. They were made up of a parent, the governor and the principal. Who should be acknowledged first by the valedictorian?
a. The classmates
b. The principal
c. The governor
d. The parent
23. What is suggested in the opening line? June 13, 1986 – they came from all over America – 200,000 heroes strong, with their families.
a. The writer holds great admiration for the veterans
b. The writer is opposed to the Vietnam War
c. The writer was a veteran of the war
d. The writer is a flag-waving patriot
24. A readability mismatch happens when the reading levels of books exceed the reading levels of the students. In this situation, the students experience frustration and they fall short of the expected or desired output. A student who finds himself/ herself in such a mismatch will likely do which of the following?
b. Write a comprehensive reaction paper regarding the selection or story read
c. Present an argument that the selection or story read was not properly written
d. Manifest an expected and commensurate emotional reaction to the selection or story read
25. What does this mean: Excuses are for losers… those who take responsibility for their actions are real winners in life. This tells of?
a. losers often fail because they find reasons for losing
b. a winner can also be a quitter
c. accountability of one’s action tells of bravery
d. excuses are needed to justify any failure
26. A couple accepted a wedding invitation. They showed pleasure in these remarks
a. All guests congratulated the organizers and the couple
b. Guests came in and out of the ceremonies
c. The ceremonies were very impressive
d. The couple felt uneasy with the priest
27. What correction should be made to this sentence?
One of the theories is that the first child receives more of the parents’ attention than other children so first-borns tend to be more intellectual.
a. Change is to are
b. Insert a comma after children
c. Change parents’ to parent’s
d. Change theories to theory’s
28. Carl Sandburg wrote “Jazz Fantasia” which has for its first stanza:
a. Batter and banjos
b. Sob and winding
c. Long and cool
d. To and it
29. What is meant by AT SIXES AND SEVENS in this sentence?
b. In a state of confusion
c. In an orderly manner
d. The boxes are still intact
30. What is the mood of these lines?
I must think of a new life
And I mustn’t give in.
When the dawn comes
tonight will be a memory, too
And a new day will begin.