LET Reviewer – GenEd English Part 2
Direction: Answer the following questions.
D. Investments2. The DEPRAVITY of the criminal’s behavior shocked us all. The capitalized word means:
3. INDULGENT parents spoil their children by giving in to their every demands and whims.
4. Open:Secretive::Forthright: __________
5. Negligent; Requirement:: Remiss :__________
6. It is _________ to try to destroy pest completely with pesticides, for as each new chemical pesticide is introduced, the pests gradually become _________ to it.
A. useless, drawn
B. futile, resistant
C. worthwhile, immune
D. pointless, vulnerable
7. The famous Dr. C. Drew’s technique for preserving and storing blood plasma for emergency use proved so _________ that it became the _______ for the present blood bank system by the Red Cross.
A. irrelevant, inspiration
B. effective, model
C. complex, blueprint
D. urgent, pattern
8. An A-rating represents the ULTIMATE honor a film will ever have. Which of the following is the opposite of the capitalized word?
D. Malicious10. Vegetarians have a variety of reasons for their beliefs. Some refuse to eat meat because they believe that the killing of animals is unnecessary or barbaric. They feel that processes such as butchering are degrading to the people who practice them and cruel to the animals slaughtered. Others believe that meat is harmful to the human body and that a purely vegetable diet is more nutritious. Still others choose vegetarianism because they believe that raising animals for meat is an inefficient use of land. They say that farmland could be put to better use growing crops for human consumption.
B. A purely vegetable diet is more nutritious than a diet that includes meat.
C. Vegetarians are opposed to any use of animals for the benefit of humans.
D. Vegetarians favor laws to reduce the consumption of meat.11. The amount of your retirement benefits from Social Security depends, in part, on when you retire. The earliest that you can begin to receive benefits is age 62. The longer you wait to begin receiving benefits (up to age 70), the higher your benefits will be. If you were born between 1938 and 1960, you cannot receive “full retirement” benefits until age 66. If you were born in 1960 or later, your full retirement age will be 67. If you wait to receive benefits past your full retirement age, the amount you receive will continue to increase until you reach age 70. There is no advantage to waiting past age 70 to begin receiving benefits. You can continue to work while you receive retirement benefits. If you do, the amount of your benefits will be reduced by one dollar for every two dollars you earn above a certain limit, until you reach your full retirement age. Once you reach your full retirement age, this limit no longer applies. The amount you earn will have no effect on your benefits. According to this passage,
B. If you were born in 1950, your full retirement age is 66.
C. If you continue to work past your full retirement age, your benefits will be reduced by one dollar for every two dollars you earn.
D. There is no advantage to waiting past your full retirement age to begin receiving benefits.12. The volunteers from the fire department ________ quickly and extinguished a fire on North Country Road.
C. will have responded
D. have responded13. In Tuesday’s paper, the owner of the supermarket was recognized for helping a customer who ________ on the icy sidewalk.
B. had fallen
C. would fall
D. has fallen
14. We arranged the flowers and placed ________ in the center of the table.
15. The person ________ made this delicious cheesecake has my vote.
16. Being too _______ will undoubtedly make other men hate you.
17. Because they did not accept his basic _______ they were ______ by his argument.
A. assumption, convinced
B. bias, impressed
C. supposition, justified
D. motivation, confused
18. The failed July 27, 2003 mutiny was believed by many as a plan by the Magdalo group as an attempt to stage a takeover of government. It was viewed as a desperate attempt by the mutineers who were supported by influential and politically motivated men who financed the mutiny, according to the Feliciano Commission. The action was found to be unconstitutional as it violates both the Articles of War and the Revised Penal Code. Such act can lead to either Court Martial or Civilian proceedings or even both. The best title for the above article is:
B. Illegal Soldiers Uprising
C. Coup d’etat
D. Articles of War and Punishment19. Determine which may be the best order in which the sentences should be arranged to result in a well- organized paragraph.
B. In the struggle against crime, government and people should join hands
C. Republic Act 7659, the death penalty law is government’s response in law against cruelty and heartlessness.
D. The law’s main objective is not retribution but reform and rehabilitation of offenders and would be offenders.
E. All countries in the world are presently siege by violent crime.A. CEBAD
20. Determine which may be the best order in which the sentences should be arranged to result in a well- organized paragraph.
A. Tagaytay is the destination for us who love nature.
B. It provides an ideal picnic ground for outdoor lovers.
C. Unfortunately, the place ends up abused by outdoor lovers who litter the place.
D. It is a place which can be easily reached by a two-hour drive from Makati City.
Answers: 1A 2D 3C 4A 5B 6C 7C 8C 9B 10A 11B 12B 13B 14A 15B 16C 17D 18B 19B 20B
DISCLAIMER: This website does not claim ownership to this material posted. Likewise, questions are not influenced by PRC professional regulatory board. The main purpose of the reviewer is to assist examiners who chose to review online.